OK, I get it.
- The debate isn't "over" with over 400 prominent scientist recently questioning the validity global warming.
- Al Gore's film is filled with misinformation.
- The latest satellite data is actually showing record ice in the Arctic.
- Satan doesn't tempt us to buy bottled water just so we increase waste.
- Drilling in Alaska won't destroy the entire state and would help their economy.
- One volcanic eruption produces more greenhouse gas then every car on the planet.
- Warmer climates are not about to strike, bringing tidal waves and giant snakes.
- Water doesn't disappear forever.
- Failing to recycle won't cause machines to rise against their makers.
I get it. I just don't care.
For me, conservation and environmentalism is not about global warming or impending planetary destruction. It's just that I would rather live in a clean, green place than a dirty one. I'd rather not smell exhaust everywhere I go. I want my kids to see the same Alaska that my dad saw. I think alternative fuels would be a great thing for so many reasons. I don't find factories belching smoke very attractive. I like to drink clean water. I'll take my steak medium rare -- hold the hormones.
Does environmental stewardship of the planet have to revolve around cataclysm scenarios? How about taking care of the planet just because it'd be a nicer place to live.